By Heather Zimmerman
The holidays are right around the corner. So, just remember, even though feeding your pets from the table may be tempting, any food your pets’ digestive system is not accustomed to could cause problems. Our holiday safety tips are focused on letting your pet under the dinner table without getting to potentially dangerous food.
Vomiting, diarrhea, and upset stomach may be just a start. More serious diseases such as pancreatitis, organ disease, and other illnesses can result from letting them eat anything they can get. This may lead to hospitalization in the most extreme cases.
Chocolate: Most people are aware that chocolate is bad for pets, you may not know that the darker the chocolate the more dangerous it can be. Chocolate can cause an upset stomach, tremors, seizures, and even death if enough is ingested.
Xylitol: This is an artificial sweetener that is often used in types of candy. If this is ingested, it can cause low blood sugar, and possible liver failure.
Raisins/grapes: These can cause renal failure and the toxic dose differs for every individual. For some pets, even a couple could result in toxicities.
Macadamia nuts: Muscle weakness, tremors, and vomiting can occur with ingestion. Macadamia nuts first were found in Australia. They are currently grown in Hawaii, California, and Mexico. For a full history, you could read a history of Macadamia Nuts.
Onions and garlic: Eating these foods can lead to destruction of red blood cells and can cause anemia.
While all pets’ stomachs are different and some are more sensitive than others, some “ok” people food include:
- Small pieces of apple (NO seeds or core)
- Green beans
- Lean meats (avoid ham since very high in salt)
If your pet is dedicated and tricky enough then they might have outsmarted our Holiday Safety Tips. You may believe that your pet may have ingested something toxic or unhealthy or if you are noticing any signs of digestive issues then you should contact us. Please call the Animal Hospital of Dauphin County at (717) 652-1270.
If possible, please provide the following information when calling so the veterinarian can better help your pet:
- Food ingested
- Pet’s approximate weight
- Time of ingestion
- Any signs of illness you are seeing.
Wishing you and your pets a very happy and healthy holiday season!!!