Sugarless Foods

Sugarless-FoodsWith Christmas recently over and Valentine’s Day on the way, most people are very aware of the health risks and dangers that chocolate poses to our dogs. But did you know that sugarless foods, including gums and candies, can be even more dangerous?

Sugar free products often contain an artificial sweetener called Xylitol, a chemical that can cause severely low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure and death when ingested by dogs. It is absorbed quickly into the bloodstream after ingestion, in as little as 30 minutes. If you think your dog ingested Sugarless Foods with Xylitol, mostly gum or candy, call your veterinarian right away.

While xylitol is deadly if ingested, one benefit of xylitol is that it can prevent dental disease in dogs and people. Many canine water additives and mouthwashes contain xylitol. These are still safe to use if the label instructions are followed. If multiple dogs use the same water bowl, a good rule of thumb is to dose the water additive for the smallest dog in the house.

Keep your pets safe this holiday season and keep candy and potentially dangerous foods well out of reach.