Your new reptile can be a great addition to the family. Since they are cold -blooded, they depend on their environment for all their comforts and needs. Here are some tips to help your new relationship get off to a great start:
MAKE SURE TO KNOW HOW TO PROPERLY CARE FOR YOUR PET. CONSULT A REPTILE VETERINARIAN ON:
- Choosing the right cage ensuring the proper size and substrate.
- The preferred optimal temperature range (POTR) that your reptile requires
- What is an appropriate diet for your reptile; and does it change as they mature
- How to provide humidity/water. For aquatic reptiles, ensure the water is properly cared for.
- The lighting and UVB requirements for your pet
WE RECOMMEND SCHEDULING A NEW ADOPTION EXAMINATION WITH A REPTILE VETERINARIAN. THESE VISITS ARE IMPORTANT TO ALLOW THE VETERINARIAN TO HELP YOU WITH THE TOPICS ABOVE AND FOLLOWING:
- A reptile’s body systems are closely related to the conditions of its environment. Ensuring proper husbandry is extremely important. The Veterinarian will work with you to make sure your reptile’s care and needs are optimized to ensure a healthy, long life.
- Reptiles show illness in very subtle ways. Regular examinations will help to detect these conditions before they may be outwardly apparent to pet owners.
- As your reptile ages, its environmental and dietary needs may change. The Veterinarian can guide you through these transitions.
- It is difficult to perfectly mimic a reptile’s diet in the wild. Supplementation is often needed. The Veterinarian can explain what your new reptile may need and signs to look for that may show nutrient deficiencies.
IN ADDITION TO REGULAR WELLNESS VISITS,
YOUR NEW REPTILE SHOULD ALSO BE SEEN BY THE VETERINARIAN IF YOU NOTICE ANY OF THESE SIGNS:
- Diarrhea or change in eliminations
- Decreased appetite
- Quivering or muscle tremors
- Any swelling, especially on the limbs or around the face/head
- Decrease or change in activity level
PLEASE CALL ANIMAL HOSPITAL OF DAUPHIN COUNTY TO SCHEDULE YOUR NEW ADOPTION EXAM AT 717-652-1270