Welcoming a new puppy or kitten into your family is an exciting time, and the team at the Animal Hospital of Dauphin County wants to ensure your new furry family members receive all the love and care they need during this joyful and important period of mental and physical development.
Keep your new pet healthy and safe
- WELLNESS PLANS – Our Paws4Wellness programs offer valuable savings and convenient 12-monthly payments for continuing health and wellness care for your new pet. Check out our Paws4Wellness options here.
- CORE VACCINES - Remember, the immunities passed on to a young animal by its mother last only a few weeks. A series of vaccinations help protect against disease and ensures your pets will grow into happy and healthy adults. Veterinarians recommend immunizing puppies and kittens at 6 to 8 weeks of age.
- TO CHIP OR NOT TO CHIP - Are you prepared if one of your pets gets lost? It’s a scary thought and more common than you may think. Veterinarians encourage pet parents to make sure pets are microchipped and have identification tags. If you’re interested in a microchip click here to request an appointment with your veterinarian.
- PET LICENSE – Obtaining a license for your pet also ensures your pet will be easily identified and returned home quickly. Most municipalities require pet licenses around the time of your puppy or kitten’s first rabies vaccination. Make a habit of keeping their information up to date!
- SOCIALIZATION – Every household member is encouraged to spend time with your new furry friends. This includes playing, feeding, and grooming. Many sounds and activities in the home take getting used to: doorbells, mail carriers, the TV and noises from cell phones. Give your pet a chance to become familiar with them. One other key to a healthy socialization is learning to be alone. Train your pet to accept time in their crate or gated area by taking a walk or being in a room without them.
We are always available to answer your pet ownership questions, about care, feeding, housebreaking, socialization and more. Please call us at (717) 775-7554.
Please share this with your friends who have new furry friends at home!